Kate Moss is expected to testify for Johnny Depp at his defamation trial against Amber Heard.
The supermodel dated Depp for four years in the 90s.
Reports from the US say she will take the stand via video link on Wednesday.
Moss’s appearance will come after Heard mentioned her by name during her own testimony.
What did Amber Heard say about Kate Moss?
Moss was brought up in court during Heard’s testimony, when she described a time Depp allegedly “swung at” her sister, Whitney Henriquez, when she was standing by a staircase.
Heard said the incident reminded her of an allegation that Depp pushed Moss down a flight of stairs in the 90s – something he denies and Moss has never spoken about publicly.
“[Whitney’s] back was to the staircase, and Johnny swings at her,” Heard told the court. “I don’t hesitate, I don’t wait – I just, in my head, instantly think of Kate Moss and stairs.
“And I swung at him. In all of my relationship to date with Johnny, I hadn’t landed a blow. And I, for the first time, hit him, like actually hit him. Square in the face. He didn’t push my sister down the stairs.”
Heard also made the claim during Depp’s 2020 libel trial against The Sun. She told the court: “He was about to push her down the stairs and the moment before that happened, I remembered information I had heard that he pushed a former girlfriend – I believe it was Kate Moss – down the stairs.”
What will Kate Moss say in court?
Depp lawyer Ben Chew appeared to give a fist pump when Heard mentioned Moss in court, leading to speculation Moss’ testimony could benefit the Pirates of the Caribbean actor.
California entertainment lawyer Mitra Ahouraian told the New York Post: “That’s one mistake that she made, was bringing up Kate Moss, which potentially opened the door to [Depp’s legal team] bringing her on as an impeachment witness.”
Depp and Moss dated for around four years from 1994 until 1998.
Early in the relationship Depp was arrested for criminal mischief after a fight between the couple left a hotel room in a state. Moss was reportedly unharmed.
Speaking to Vanity Fair in 2012 about their relationship, Moss said: “There’s nobody that’s ever really been able to take care of me. Johnny did for a bit. I believed what he said. Like if I said, ‘What do I do?’, he’d tell me. And that’s what I missed when I left. I really lost that gauge of somebody I could trust.”
Why is Johnny Depp suing Amber Heard?
Depp is suing Heard, his ex-wife, for $50m (£40m) over an article she wrote in The Washington Post in 2018, in which she described herself as a “public figure representing domestic abuse”.
Heard did not name Depp in the article, but he claims it has cost him acting roles.
She has counter sued him for $100m, claiming Depp defamed her when his legal team referred to her claims as “fake” and a “sexual violence hoax”.
The former couple, who were married from 2015 to 2017, both accuse the other of being physically violent during the relationship. They each deny the other’s claims.
Depp and Heard met in 2009, on the set of The Rum Diary, in which they played lovers.
The couple released a joint statement when their divorce was finalised saying: “Our relationship was intensely passionate and at times volatile, but always bound by love.”
What are the key moments from the trial so far?
This section contains descriptions of alleged sexual assault
– Depp has testified that he never hit Heard or any other woman. He said she was the one who became abusive and “bullied” him with “demeaning name calling”.
“If I stayed to argue, eventually, I was sure it was going to escalate into violence, and oftentimes it did,” he told the court. Heard has said “she didn’t assault Johnny, ever”.
– The pair offered differing accounts of an early 2015 argument in Australia, where Depp was filming a fifth Pirates of the Caribbean movie.
Depp said Heard threw a vodka bottle that severed the top of his right middle finger. The actor said he went into shock and wrote messages to Heard on the wall using blood from the finger.
Heard sobbed as she told the jury that Depp sexually assaulted her that night by inserting a liquor bottle in her vagina. “I was scared,” she said. “I had just married him.”
– A few months later, Heard said, Depp broke her nose and ripped out chunks of her hair during another violent encounter.
– Heard’s attorneys introduced photos that they said showed injuries after various arguments, including scars on her arm that were visible as she posed on a red carpet, and redness and swelling around an eye that she said was struck by a phone thrown by Depp.
An attorney for Depp showed images from public appearances that they said were taken around the time of their fights and appeared to show no injuries, and suggested Heard edited photos to make the redness appear more pronounced. Heard said she never edited the photos, and used make-up to cover injuries.
– Depp testified that faeces were found in the couple’s bed in 2016. One of his security guards said Heard told him it was “a horrible practical joke gone wrong.” Heard denied any involvement and suggested one of the couple’s dogs was responsible.
– Heard’s lawyers introduced text messages in which Depp called Heard a “filthy whore” and said he wanted her dead.
Writing to actor Paul Bettany in 2013, Depp said: “Let’s drown her before we burn her” and “I will fuck her burnt corpse afterward to make sure she is dead”.
– Psychologist Shannon Curry took the stand, testifying that Heard shows symptoms borderline personality disorder and histrionic personality disorder.
She also claimed Heard exaggerated signs of PTSD, which the actress said she experienced as a result of her relationship with Depp.
– Clinical and forensic psychologist Dr Dawn Hughes, called to the stand as Heard’s first witness, described multiple alleged instances of sexual violence to the court, including one where the actor allegedly performed a “cavity search” of Heard in an attempt to look for drugs.
“These incidents often happened in a drug-fuelled rage,” she said.
– Heard described Depp’s drug use, saying the actor had “different versions” of himself, “depending on which drug he was on”. Former Depp staffers have given similar accounts of Depp’s alleged frequent drug and alcohol use.
Heard described an incident in which she claims Depp pinned her to a wall by the throat. “I remember looking down on him… clawing at him trying to get his arms away from my neck. At one point I remember him ripping my shirt, and one of my breasts became exposed… I pulled at his lapel and his shirt tore… He ripped it off and put it around my neck,” she told the court.
– Heard claimed the Washington Post article was not about Depp. “It’s not about Johnny,” she told the court. “The only one who thought it was about Johnny was Johnny. It was about me, and my life after Johnny.”
– Heard’s sister, Whitney Heard Henriquez, is the first witness at the five-week civil trial to tell the court that she personally witnessed Depp hitting Heard.
She described a fight in March 2015. At one point, she said, she was caught between Depp and Heard as he charged up a staircase to confront Heard. Ms Henriquez said she was struck in the back. One of Depp’s bodyguards intervened and broke up the fight but “by that time Johnny had already grabbed Amber by the hair with one hand and was whacking her repeatedly in the face with the other,” Ms Henriquez said.
The trial continues.