A man was airlifted to hospital after drilling through a mains electricity cable whilst carrying out DIY in his front garden. Two air ambulances were sent to the scene in Swindon, Wiltshire, at around 9.40am on Friday (June 3) The man was drilling into the ground outside his house when he struck an underground live mains electricity cable – giving him a huge electric shock.
He is understood to have suffered a cardiac arrest as a result, sparking a major emergency response. The burned-out drill was pictured charred in the garden following the incident.
Wiltshire Air Ambulance, Thames Valley Air Ambulance, a BASICS doctor and two ambulance service Hazardous Area Response Teams (HART) attended alongside local 999 responders. Two ambulances, an ambulance officer, two fire engines and Wiltshire Police were also in attendance.
Once stabilised at the scene, Thames Valley Air Ambulance transferred the patient to Southmead Hospital in Bristol. The incident sparked a localised electricity outage, which was later restored by West and West Utilities.
A Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “We were called to Whitbourne Avenue, Park North at 9.42am this morning after a man drilled through an electricity cable. Two crews attended, from Stratton and Westlea.
“Our stop was at 11am, when the casualty had been taken to hospital by air ambulance.”